Monday 1 April 2013

Further Experimentation- Wizard beast

From looking over the wizard beast look with the gelatin, I have come to the conclusion this was not up to the standard of my previous looks. I have decided to rethink this makeup look and see if I can come up with something more striking.
As the hair is a major part of this look I thought starting on this would help with inspiration. I spoke to one of my tutors and asked how to go about making the rhino horn. She told me to get some chicken wire to create the structure, and then use gauze to cover it, crepe hair is needed to then go around this. At the time this literally made no sense to me as she was saying it, and I thought to give up straight away, but I don't like to give up.
My teacher said I could get some chicken wire from a hard ware store, but as I don't drive I thought I would see what I could find.
I went to Pound land on the hope to find some wire, and they actually had some which was perfect for what I needed.
I started on this as soon as possible and was actually easier than initially thought, and I remember my teacher saying once your doing it you will see how easy it is, and she was definitely right.
The frame of the horn was filled with plastic bags, and instead of gauze, I used a pair of tights to cover it all.
 To straighten the crepe hair this had to be steamed over the kettle, this was then placed around the horn structure, this was then sewn into place so it was smooth.




I thought back to when I used fullers earth and wondered how else this could be used. I found this image below on a social networking site, I asked the girl how she done this and she explained she painted inside the cracks, then added the metallic colours on top, this looks really effective.
I have also found the image below and I really like how the fullers earth goes down the neck.


I have decided already on the model I want to use for this look, she has a very harsh features and this would be great for this character. She also has dark skin and hair. From previous experimenting with fullers earth it seems to have a green/grey look to it, so I have decided to get something similar and use chocolate face mask which works in the same sort of way. 


I found the chocolate face mask not only smelt good but was a much nicer colour than the fullers earth, it really matches the skin tone. I believe this resembles the texture of a rhinos skin. I have added a metallic silver and gold, and also some grey and black to the face mask. This will be paired with natural makeup and a dark bold lip, Gold highlighter will be added.

No comments:

Post a Comment