Sunday 7 April 2013

Easter Holiday Reflection of work

I have spoken to a number of different models to see if anyone is free to shoot, but unfortunately everyone seems to be at home or busy. This has really set me back and I am definitely going to be behind schedule. I have thought of different ways I can expand my book so I have thought about doing a number of paintings which suit with the story line. In a chapter of the book the characters go through a poppy field and this sends them to sleep.




I looked online at other illustrators work to see how they have illustrated this scene. I was particularly interested in the layout of the poppies on this left bottom image, they start bigger and move smaller as the eyes move across the page.








I then set out and painted three different poppies using acrylic paint and watercolours, these were then scanned in and photoshop allowed me to change the scale, colour and rotation of each poppy.
 These were then repeated and place across a double page spread.

I have thought about ways in which i can make the witch look as though she is melting



The Emerald City was the next piece to add into the book, as the scene of the poppies were painted, I thought the city should also be done in this way. Research into graphics, paintings, illustrations of cites were carried out, below are some I found the most influential.



I have tried to recreate the image above below using acrylilc paints and watercoloours, different shade of green were used to resemble the Emerald City, however I am sure it is clear this was more challenging than expected and I soon gave up with this and moved onto the next.



This Graphic of a city was found, and thought something like this would be easier to recreate.

Again I used water colours and acrylics to create this piece and felt this went to plan a lot better than the last, I will scan this into photoshop and edit it so the edge are neater and it is brighter.


I also decided to recreate a Silver pair of shoes, this could possibly be used somewhere through out the book, maybe at a small scale in the corner of the front cover or on the back cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment