Friday 22 February 2013

Experimenting-Wizard Head

The Head is how Dorothy sees the Wizard, it is a head without a body and without hair. It is the thickness of paper with a painted face.

I have found some images below, which inspire me for this character.

I looked at the images because of the drip marks and thought this could show the idea that the face has been painted.





I looked at this image for the texture, again this represents the idea of painting.


I looked at this one for the face shape, the wizard head is obviously just the head so wanted to exaggerate the face shape.


I looked at this next image as it made up of paper and the head is made of paper. This texture would look effective on the face.



From looking at these images, I have more of an idea of a number of different routes I could explore into with this look.

For this look, I have decided to drip a darker foundation down the face to give the effect of paint dripping, I feel this is quite affective but I would prefer something with more brush marks and colour to represent the paint.



I previously spoke about the brush strokes that I thought would represent the paint better. I would like more texture in this, and to really build up the colour. The dark eye shadow around the eye as this makes it look like a black eye especially with the green. I chose to use the green colouring as in the Emerald City the Wizard is seen in a tint of green. 


 I decided to look at different paper textures, as this Wizard is made of paper. From looking at the different angles in these images I thought about exploring  the geometric shapes on the faces.


 I tried to recreate a Geometric shape as shown in the top left image around the eye. I feel the sharp edges are quite effective. This was then extended further around the face, but realised this seemed to much like face paint and looked amateur. 
After I decided to try shading on the face, to recreate the angles and shadowing of the paper, however this was unsuccessful and didn't have the desired effect.  


This next image is from my Pinterest Board. The texture within this interests me, and how the brush strokes and the splashes of colour have been created give a painted effect, which is how the wizard head is created. Below is my own version of this look.


 I decided to use the main colour as green, as the wizard head is in the Emerald city. Splashes of red, blue and white have been added to give this look more depth. I think these textures work well together however I feel this makeup could resemble bruises.


I then tried this look which was inspiration taken from my Wizard head pinboard, however I felt this white doesnt work well, so I tried outlining this with black but this still doesnt work well with me. I have decided to come back to this character once I have done more research.

No comments:

Post a Comment